With an event as beautiful as a baby shower, the decor must be as special as the occasion. And baby shower flower arrangements can be stuffed with a whole lot of care and love.
Flowers hold a ton of social power; they can make us feel joy, connected to nature, and welcomed into a space. It makes sense then, why flower arrangements are amongst the most popular event decorations.
A thoughtful baby shower flower arrangement adds a fresh beauty to the event – symbolizing the beauty of life and growth you’re gathering to celebrate.
In this post, I’m sharing how to best harness this power through creating DIY baby shower flower arrangements, with gorgeous flower selections, important materials, and step-by-step guidance to help your creative process.
I’ve also included ideas for baby shower flowers, with unique and classic designs that inspire.
Why Choose DIY Baby Shower Flower Arrangements?
- Atmosphere – Flower arrangements affect the mood of a room, welcoming guests in and encouraging them to feel comfortable. Different flowers can have different emotional effects, from excitement to tranquility.
- Theme – Baby shower flowers can contribute to a themed event, with classic baby motifs or personalized motifs.
- Color – Flowers are one of the best ways to splash gorgeous color across a room without looking harsh or overdone.
- Symbolism – There is a long history of using flowers to mark special occasions, with symbolic flowers like white roses for purity and baby’s breath for innocence.
- Photography – With an event like a baby shower where there are bound to be photos snapped left and right, you’ll need a gorgeous backdrop. Flower arrangements like flower walls, centerpieces, and hanging installations provide wonderful photo opportunities.
- Gifting – Baby shower flowers can double as party favors, as guests can take arrangements home and the mom-to-be can keep a memento of the occasion.
- Cost-effective – DIY flower arrangements are much less expensive than purchasing fresh flower arrangements. With a bit of extra time and effort, you can save a lot of money.
- Long-lasting – DIY faux florals can last a lifetime if they’re taken care of whereas fresh florals are temporary.
- Timing – Crafting with fresh flowers can be stressful as they can wilt quickly and unexpectedly. DIY faux flowers take away time constraints, allowing you to work on arrangements weeks in advance.
Materials Needed for DIY Baby Shower Flower Arrangements
If you’re interested in arranging your own beautiful baby shower flowers, you’ll need a few materials.
While supplies will vary based on the projects, these tried-and-true materials should get you through just about anything you come up with!
First up, you’ll need some kind of base. Here are a few ideas:
- Matte vase
- Wicker basket
- Hanging hoop
- Grapevine wreath
- Teardrop swag
Next, you’ll want to gather a few varieties of greenery to add realism to your flower arrangement. Depending on how complicated the arrangement is, you may use anywhere from two to five varieties.
Try to use greenery with different textures in slightly different shades to add dimension to your design.
Some of my favorite faux greenery to put in baby shower flowers include:
According to floriography, flowers evoke different meanings based on their type and color. Symbolic flowers perfect for a baby shower include:
- White and pink roses – Purity, love, new beginnings
- Baby’s breath – Purity, innocence
- Light pink carnations – Mother’s love
- Daisies – Purity, innocence
- Peonies – Prosperity, good fortune
- Tulips – Love, new life
- Sunflowers – Loyalty, adoration
- Irises – Wisdom, hope
- Soft blue hydrangeas – Emotion, understanding
- White lilies – Nurturing, motherhood, purity
- Chrysanthemums – Joy, celebration, optimism
When playing with faux floral design, there are a few materials that are no-brainers! Stock up on these essentials:
Some of these tools are more essential than others, though they can all make your life easier when experimenting with faux floral arrangements:
- Wire clippers
- Hot glue gun
- EZ Bow Maker
- Steel pick machine
When it comes to extra materials, the world is your oyster! Try any of these fun elements to add a little something special to your baby shower flowers:
Creating Basic Baby Shower Flower Arrangements: Step-by-Step Guide
Ready to create? Follow these steps to create the baby shower flower arrangement of your dreams.
1. Decide on your base
Your first step is to choose your base. For a classic look, try a clear or opaque vase.
For something themed, a sweet teacup, a faux pumpkin, or a bassinet make stunning flower bases.
2. Create a gentle color harmony
Next, begin working on a gentle color harmony to best suit the occasion.
Take into account theme and color psychology when picking your colors. Neutrals and pastels like cream, lavender, and seafoam green are common choices for their soft qualities.
Some like to decorate with baby pinks or blues depending on gender, while it’s more common now to decorate with gender-neutral colors or whatever mom prefers.
All your flowers should fit within this color palette, looking harmonious together while providing a gentle contrast for visual interest.
3. Prep the base
Any base prep will depend on your chosen base.
Most opaque bases just need a bit of florist foam and a thin layer of Spanish moss added to the top; this helps camouflage the foam.
For a transparent vase, sand, beads, or acrylic water are useful.
4. Plan your arrangement
Before you begin adding your elements, I recommend you pre-plan your arrangement. While it may adjust as you create, this plan will help guide your process.
Pull together all of your elements and ensure you have enough texture, contrast, and depth within them.
5. Include focal flowers
Begin by adding your focal flowers, evenly distributed through the arrangement.
For wreaths or garlands, you’ll want to begin with greenery and add focal flowers as a second step.
6. Add filler flowers and greenery
Next, add smaller filler flowers and textured greenery around your focal flowers to give the arrangement life and whimsy!
7. Include beautiful extras
Think about small touches you can add to your arrangement to give it some personal charm.
This may look like a bow wrapped around the vase, hanging tealights in a hoop design, or sparkling grasses added throughout.
8. Reassess and add finishing touches
Step back and reassess your arrangement. Make any final adjustments, and enjoy your gorgeous baby shower flowers!
Check out my friend Julie Siomacco from Southern Charm Wreaths’ tutorial on a Hydrangea Centerpiece! Her design would be perfect as a baby shower floral arrangement. Plus, you can easily switch out the florals for blue or neutral colors.
Creative Baby Shower Flower Arrangement Ideas
If you’re looking for inspiration, you’ve come to the right place.
These baby shower flower arrangement ideas will help springboard your creations, with color palettes and theme ideas for every preference.
Tips for Making Your Baby Shower Flower Arrangements Last Longer
After all of your hard work, you’ll want to preserve your baby shower flower arrangements for as long as possible!
Here are a few tips to keep them looking as good as new:
- Gently dust your flower arrangements regularly using a microfiber cloth.
- Store your arrangements in lidded, labeled bins to protect them from moisture and dust.
- Keep faux flowers away from direct sunlight because it can cause their colors to fade.
- Use a floral sealant to prolong your arrangement’s lifespan.
- If you need to clean your arrangement, never submerge your elements (they hate water!). Spot clean with watered-down gentle dish soap and air dry them before storing.
- Treat your flower arrangements with care – they’re likely delicate and can become more so over time.
- Make adjustments and repairs when needed. A little hot glue can do wonders!
Time to Create! DIY Baby Shower Floral Arrangements
That covers just about all you need to know to make touching arrangements for any baby shower.
With a gentle color palette, symbolic flowers, and a few personal touches, it’s easy to create unique and beautiful designs – ones that will welcome your newest family member into the world with gusto!